The Global Z Recording Project is pleased to announce that it has launched a project of historic importance to all Marylanders titled, ‘Living and Dying With COVID-19: The Maryland Stories.’
We live in highly unique times. Living in a pandemic world has imposed significant inconveniences, hardships, unforeseeable circumstances, stressed academic and health systems, caused economic damage, psychological trauma, physical illness, and even death. Every human being has been impacted by COVID-19. Every human being has a story to tell.
Storytelling is known to be an incredibly powerful and valuable historical tool. The Global Z Recording Project has partnered with 15 libraries across the state of Maryland. Audio production gear has been installed in these partnering libraries, where all Marylanders may record personal stories of how COVID-19 has impacted and continues to impact their lives. Their voices and stories will become part of the Enoch Pratt Free Library’s Digital Maryland and Maryland State Archives collections where they will be available to benefit all of mankind. In addition, feature stories will be distributed with the assistance of National Public Radio flagship station, WYPR.
“This project empowers Marylanders, providing a rare and incredibly valuable opportunity for all citizens to tell their stories. These personal recordings will become part of our history, collectively informing the world and future researchers how COVID-19 impacted individuals and our local communities,” said Dr. Bill Lord, Founder and Executive Director of The Global Z Recording Project.
- Maryland Humanities
- Digital Maryland, Enoch Pratt Free Library/State Library Resource Center
- Maryland State Archives
- Maryland State Library
- National Public Radio, WYPR
- Urbana Regional Library (Frederick County) – Pilot Library
- Caroline County Public Library – Central Branch Denton
- Dorchester County Public Library – Cambridge Branch
- Frederick County – C. Burr Artz Library
- Frederick County – Urbana Regional Library (pilot partner)
- Garrett County – The Ruth Enlow Library
- Howard County Library – Glenwood Branch
- Montgomery County Public Libraries – Aspen Hill Library
- Montgomery County Public Libraries – Davis Library
- Queen Anne’s County Library – Centreville Branch
- Somerset County – Princess Anne Library
- St. Mary’s County Library
- Talbot County Free Library – Main Library
- Washington County Free Library – Central Branch
- Wicomico Public Library – Pittsville
- Worcester County Library – Ocean City
This project was made possible by a grant from Maryland Humanities, through support from the National Endowment for the Humanities.